Umuntu Media relaunches the next version of iNamibia.co.na
The relaunch demonstrates the growing and ongoing need for locally relevant content across Africa
29 NOVEMBER 2011, WINDHOEK
SummaryUmuntu Media relaunched the next version of the iNamibia lifestyle portal, in the next step to deliver up to the minute local content that is immediately relevant to the needs of Namibians. iNamibia.co.na was launched in January 2011 and quickly became the largest and most comprehensive news portal in the country.
Umuntu Media is relaunching the next version of the iNamibia lifestyle portal, in the next step to deliver up to the minute local content that is immediately relevant to the needs of Namibians. iNamibia.co.na was launched in January 2011 and quickly became the largest and most comprehensive news portal in the country.
iNamibia was the first in a series of portals containing up to the minute information about entertainment, property, jobs, accommodation and news specifically relevant to people across Namibia.
The content has been generated by local journalists who have an intimate knowledge of the country. On the new iNamibia you can find:
- Top local, international, sport and entertainment news
- Lifestyle: Fashion, Food, Gadgets, Gossip, Health, Movies, Music, Relationships, Travel and TV
- What's on section
- Jobs: Manage your CV online, apply online, setup job alerts
- Property to buy and to rent
- Restaurant guide
- Accommodation guide with online bookings
- Business directory
- Music and videos
- Social platform where you can create events, groups, share photos and video or find the love of your life
Umuntu Media's iPortal series was born in response to a lack of local information that is immediately relevant to the people of Africa.
Johan Nel, CEO and founder of Umuntu Media says of the relaunch: "The relaunch of iNamibia consolidates our position as the fastest growing online publisher in Africa. From the start we saw tremendous growth in uptake of the portal, clearly demonstrating the need to generate comprehensive, updated and locally relevant content to people across Africa.”
Umuntu Media will soon be launching Mimiboard, a social media tool designed in Africa by Africans for Africa. The platform will be launched in alpha version in January 2012.
For more information, contact Johan Nel, Umuntu Media, email@example.com
About Umuntu Media
Umuntu Media exists because we love Africa, we love technology and we have a passion for local content.
With just one registered domain per 10 000 people on a continent with over a billion people, we are filling a significant gap in Africa.
With a background in media and online publishing, our CEO and founder Johan Nel saw that gap while researching local information for a family holiday in Namibia in 2009. Our journey started with a very simple mission: to deliver relevant local content on world class platforms across the continent.
In September 2010, with support from the Dutch investment firm, eVentures Africa Fund, our business plan expanded from a single portal for Namibia to multiple portals across Africa.
The winning iPortal formula encapsulates our passion: to bring relevant local content to people who want to know what’s going on in their area, all day, every day. Keeping true to our promise of getting Africa online, we remain focused on our ambitious growth plan to deliver thirteen local content portals by April 2012.
We are also rolling out Mimiboard, a mobile communications platform created in Africa, for Africa, designed to cater for Africa’s local content needs.
Our business is driven by certain key principles. Always question the norm. Never be boring. And always embrace new technology to directly serve the market that wants it. After all, a publisher that owns a tech platform is the publisher of the future.
About eVentures Africa Fund
eVentures Africa Fund (eVA Fund) is dedicated to mobilize capital and experience in the Netherlands/Europe to invest in small and medium sized African internet and mobile related companies. eVA Fund focuses on development in terms of capital and business development support, i.e. knowledge, experience, access to proven business concepts/applications, and network.
The target region is sub-Saharan Africa. Website: www.eva-fund.com
""The relaunch of iNamibia.co.na consolidates our position as the fastest growing online publisher in Africa. From the start we saw tremendous growth in uptake of the portal, clearly demonstrating the need to generate comprehensive, updated and locally relevant content to people across Africa.”" Johan Nel, CEO and Founder, Umuntu Media
""We are delighted with the relaunch of the iNamibia lifestyle portal. The success of the portal from a standing start clearly demonstrates the ongoing and growing need to bring locally relevant content to people across Africa."" Brian Hirman, eVentures Africa Fund
About Umuntu Media
Enabling local content creation and unlocking access to this content across Africa.
We are here to help communities by making it easy for them to create and share content. Through the establishment of trusted brands (iPortals) and smart technology (Mimiboard) we aim to improve access to information and facilitate user-generated content. We are building the local-wide web and we love it.
- Launched nine African content and information portals
- Became the biggest local website in Namibia (2nd in Botswana)
- Created one of the biggest Facebook followings of any media group in these nine countries
- Initiated first-time digital advertising spend from many local organisations
- Launched iAngola and iMozambique in Portuguese
- Received the Nokia and World Bank Innovator of the Year Award 2012
- The first African company to be selected as a finalist in the iMedia Next Wave competition (Austin, Texas)
- Launched Mimiboard, which resulted in an additional 414 000 visitors to our network in the first month
- Through the use of Mimiboard, Umuntu Media reached 4,5 million visitors per month by the end of 2012 (currently 7,5 million per month)
- Currently Umuntu Media is present in 16 African markets (iPortals and Mimiboard) – planned expansion to 25+
- Featured in numerous articles across the world; highlights include BBC, The Next Web, iMedia connection, Memeburn