ABOUT UMUNTU MEDIA
Enabling local content creation and unlocking access to this content across Africa.
We are here to help communities by making it easy for them to create and share content. Through the establishment of trusted brands (iPortals) and smart technology (Mimiboard) we aim to improve access to information and facilitate user-generated content. We are building the local-wide web and we love it.
- Launched nine African content and information portals
- Became the biggest local website in Namibia (2nd in Botswana)
- Created one of the biggest Facebook followings of any media group in these nine countries
- Initiated first-time digital advertising spend from many local organisations
- Launched iAngola and iMozambique in Portuguese
- Received the Nokia and World Bank Innovator of the Year Award 2012
- The first African company to be selected as a finalist in the iMedia Next Wave competition (Austin, Texas)
- Launched Mimiboard, which resulted in an additional 414 000 visitors to our network in the first month
- Through the use of Mimiboard, Umuntu Media reached 4,5 million visitors per month by the end of 2012 (currently 7,5 million per month)
- Currently Umuntu Media is present in 16 African markets (iPortals and Mimiboard) – planned expansion to 25+
- Featured in numerous articles across the world; highlights include BBC, The Next Web, iMedia connection, Memeburn